Photo by Mike Sweetman
ANNOUNCEMENT: We are currently accepting submissions for the June 2019 issue. The deadline to submit is April 30. Any work we receive after that will be considered for October.
Parhelion Literary Magazine welcomes submissions for fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and visual art. We are especially interested in strong voices, compelling stories, and innovative narrative technique. The same general thinking applies to visual art as well: thought provoking, innovative, eye-catching. Most importantly, we want to connect to your work emotionally. We want to feel something when we read or view it.
- We accept work from both new and established writers/artists.
- We do not accept previously published written work, but have an exception for photography.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable as long as we’re notified immediately if the work is selected for publication elsewhere.
You can submit by emailing us at email@example.com.
- In the email subject line, please include what kind of work you are submitting (Subject: Short story submission, Art Submission, Poetry Submission).
- If you are submitting fiction, nonfiction, or poetry, please attach as a word document (docx).
- Please include some information about yourself in your query—who you are, previous publications, links to your social media, etc. We are happy to link our writers and artists to their professional sites so readers can find out more about you.
- There is no fee to submit.
- At this time, we are unable to compensate writers.
- Please allow up to three months for us to reply to your submission. Sometimes it takes longer.
- Rights revert back to authors upon publication.
Fiction, Flash, & Nonfiction:
- Only submit one story/essay at a time. Do not send multiple stories/essays in one submission or separate submissions. We will not read four or five pieces at once—just send the one you think is best.
- Please double-space.
- Stories and essays should not surpass 5,000 words.
- Novel excerpts are accepted if self-contained.
We will feature multiple works by three to four poets in each issue. Please send no more than 10 pages of poetry when you submit. That could be one poem or ten. Send us your best 10 pages:
- typed, single-spaced
- 12 pt. font
- as one .doc, .docx, or .pdf file
- start each poem on a new page
- no accompanying visuals or graphics
- we do not tend to publish poems that are overtly about politics, nature, or religion.
Photography and Illustration:
Leeta is looking for photographs and illustrations that make an emotional connection, that tell a story. She’s looking for portraits and landscapes, but often those landscapes are portraits in themselves: of a building, a car, or a field. Because the subjects are so vibrant they are alive with energy and life, even if they aren’t human. Some keywords to describe what she’s attracted to in photography and illustration:
portraits, urban, eclectic, authentic, imperfect, rustic, color, vibrant, style, energetic, emotional, connection, rural, international, southern
- For future photography and illustration submissions please go to Parhelion on Instagram and send a direct message to your page. Leeta will review your work and get back to you (If you don’t have Instagram, you can send your query to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- If we select your submission, we will ask for a 3-5 paragraph artist’s statement about your work along with a short bio. Don’t worry if you’re not a strong writer, we can help you edit it.
- We may post art on our social media sites (credited to the artist, of course).