Photography by Leeta Harding
Parhelion publishes a Winter Issue (February), a Summer Issue (July/August), and a Halloween Issue (October—fiction/flash only). We publish features throughout the year.
Update! July 12, 2022
SUMMER ISSUE—comes out in the beginning of August.
HALLOWEEN ISSUE—opening Halloween submissions through September 30th.
Open to Features 24/7, 365
We always accept features, including: book reviews, author interviews, articles on writing, literary events, and other related topics. For more detailed information, please check out our call on Submittable.
- Parhelion publishes in the February, July, and October. We regularly publish features (interviews, book reviews, and literary/writing related topics).
- To get an idea of what we publish, check out the current issue and our archives.
- At this time, we are unable to compensate contributors.
- Rights revert back to authors upon publication.
- We do not accept previously published written work.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable as long as we’re notified immediately if the work is selected for publication elsewhere.
All the PLM editors work differently and have different response times.
- Darren reads poetry and responds along the way, so he’s pretty timely.
- Elizabeth tends to skim, go back later and read more carefully, then sit on the fiction/flash submissions until she decides on acceptances. So she takes longer to hear from.
- Stephenie varies and tends to work closely with writers on editing potential pieces for publication.
- Rebecca reads features submissions regularly and responds fairly quickly; she also reads fiction and flash with Elizabeth.
Fiction & Nonfiction:
- Please double space and use 12 point font.
- Do not put two spaces after periods!
- Most of the stories and essays we accept run around 8-12 pages.
- Novel excerpts are accepted if self-contained.
- We accept up to three flash pieces per submission.
- Please put everything in one word document so we can easily read through it.
- Flash can be either fiction or CNF.
- As a reminder, a single flash piece should be no more than 1,000 words.
We feature multiple works by three to four poets in each issue. Please send no more than 10 pages of poetry when you submit. That could be one poem OR ten. Send us your best 10 pages:
- Typed, single-space, size 12 font
- Submit as one docx file
- Start each poem on a new page
- No accompanying visuals or graphics
- We tend not to publish poems that are overtly about politics, nature, or religion
We look forward to reading your work!