ANNOUNCEMENT: The July issue is currently in production and we are accepting submissions for the October 1st issue. We will begin reading July 1st. The deadline to submit for October is September 1. (If you submitted during June, your work is being considered for October.)
Parhelion Literary Magazine welcomes submissions for fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and visual art. We are especially interested in strong voices, compelling stories, and innovative narrative technique. The same general thinking applies to visual art as well: thought provoking, innovative, eye-catching.
- We accept work from both new and established writers/artists.
- We do not accept previously published work.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable as long as we’re notified immediately if the work is selected for publication elsewhere.
You can submit by emailing us at email@example.com.
- In the email subject line, please include what kind of work you are submitting (Subject: Short story submission).
- If you are submitting fiction, nonfiction, or poetry, please attach as a word document (docx).
- If you are submitting visual art, please attach a pdf or include a link to your portfolio.
- Please include some information about yourself in your query—who you are, previous publications, links to your social media, etc. We are happy to link our writers and artists to their professional sites so readers can find out more about you.
- There is no fee to submit.
- At this time, we are unable to compensate writers.
- Please allow up to three months for us to reply to your submission.
- Rights revert back to authors upon publication.
Fiction, Flash, & Nonfiction:
- Only submit one story/essay at a time. Do not send multiple stories/essays in one submission. We will not read four or five pieces at once—just send the one you think is best.
- Please double-space.
- Stories and essays should not surpass 5,000 words.
- Novel excerpts are accepted if self-contained.
We will feature multiple works by two to three poets in each issue. Please send no fewer than 10 pages of poetry when you submit—we will publish up to five poems. Send us your best 10 pages:
- typed, single-spaced
- 12 pt., serif font
- as one .doc, .docx, or .pdf file
(***update***) We will also include shorter works of poetry and prose poetry in our “flash” section.
- We are looking for photography, illustrations, graphic design, and other forms of artistic expression to feature.
- If we select your submission, we will ask for a 3-5 paragraph artist’s statement about your work. Don’t worry if you’re not a strong writer, we will help you edit it.
- We may post art on our social media sites (credited to the artist, of course).