Photography by Madeline Thornton
What we’re seeking
Wondering just what we’re looking for in fiction, flash, poetry, and creative nonfiction?
Meet us where language is sometimes enough, but meaning-making is even better. Where traditional meets unconventional and profane meets good. Where story erupts in your truth—or, better yet, a universal truth. Where the American South meets the world. And where, in the far-flung sky of your creative mind, basic elements like light and ice illuminate our view. Give us your mock sun, your parhelion in words. It’s the closest we’re going to get to that big star in the sky.
Now accepting submissions for Fall 2020
Parhelion is open to short story, flash, poetry, and creative nonfiction submissions for Fall 2020, which will publish mid-November. To submit, please visit our Submittable page. The deadline to submit is September 31. **Please note we are not taking photography or art submissions at this time.**
Special Halloween Issue!
This year, we are running a Halloween issue in early October, featuring short stories and flash fiction (up to 1,000 words). As Halloween lovers, we are super psyched about this special issue. To submit, please visit our Submittable page. The deadline to submit is September 27.
Regularly accepting Features
We always accept features, including: book reviews, author interviews, articles on writing, literary events, and other related topics. For more detailed information, please check out our call on Submittable.
General info in a nutshell
(please see Submittable calls for more details)
- Parhelion publishes in the winter, summer, and fall. We regularly publish features (interviews, book reviews, and literary/writing related topics).
- To get an idea of what we publish, check out the current issue and our archives.
- At this time, we are unable to compensate contributors.
- Please allow up to three months for us to reply to your submission. Sometimes it takes longer.
- Rights revert back to authors upon publication.
- We do not accept previously published written work.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable as long as we’re notified immediately if the work is selected for publication elsewhere.
Fiction, Flash, & Nonfiction:
- Please double-space and use 12 point font.
- Most of the stories and essays we accept run around 8-12 pages,
- Flash should be 1,000 words or less.
- Novel excerpts are accepted if self-contained.
We feature multiple works by three to four poets in each issue. Please send no more than 10 pages of poetry when you submit. That could be one poem OR ten. Send us your best 10 pages:
- typed, single-spaced
- 12 pt. font
- as one docx file
- start each poem on a new page
- no accompanying visuals or graphics
- we tend not to publish poems that are overtly about politics, nature, or religion
We look forward to reading your work!